Thursday, January 13, 2022

Post #1: My Top 5 Sources for News & Information

1. ABC News

Ever since I was a child, my top source for news has always been ABC News. Given that this is the channel my parents would always turn to for their news, I suppose I developed a liking for the way they present stories. According to this chart by Market Watch, ABC News meets a high journalistic standard and tends to contain minimal partisan bias. As someone who tries to develop informed opinions based in factual evidence, I appreciate ABC's commitment to unbiased reporting. Beyond their journalistic integrity, however, I also enjoy the variety of information I can find through their network. Between the television network and their online presence, I can turn to ABC for anything from local and world news to entertainment and celebrity updates. 


2. Vox

Another source I often turn to for news is Vox. I particularly enjoy the content released on their YouTube channel, as I feel it does an excellent job of breaking down complex topics into terms that someone with minimal background knowledge can understand. Aside from being a fantastic news source, Vox also produces a myriad of content to satisfy the curiosity of a history nerd like me. I often find myself wondering about the historical context of today's "hot topics", and Vox creates a number of videos that provide just that. However, if you feel like taking in more light-hearted stories, like the history of linoleum or why we use the Dutch Angle, Vox also has you covered.

3. Associated Press

The Associated Press is another favorite news source of mine. Typically, I use the AP as a source to verify stories I see circulating on social media. For example, a celebrity death is likely to have happened if the AP has reported on it. Similarly, I use the AP as a source to fact-check political stories circulating online, as well. I also turn to this source for international news. Though some international stories get reported by televised American news, the Associated Press is a great source to learn about international events in context. 

4. Last Week Tonight

When I need some comic relief with my news, I turn to Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. If you are short on time, Oliver provides a summary of the week's big news stories during the first part of each weekly episode. However, the majority of the show is generally used to deep-dive into a topic related to some type of current event. Though the full show is only available on HBO, these deep-dive portions of the show are all available for free on YouTube. Comedy aside, I appreciate the accessibility of this show, even for people who may not have access to the full network. Like Vox, I find that Oliver and his team do a fantastic job of putting complex and, often, heavy topics into a more digestible format that usually includes background of the topic and possible solutions to the problem. 

5. Twitter

Finally, I often use Twitter as a jumping-off point for my news. I would advise caution when gathering news from any form of social media. That said, I find that Twitter's trending pages and stories are very useful for staying up-to-date on news from many industries. After seeing a headline on Twitter, I typically look to see who is putting out stories on the topic or who the company has featured to provide additional information. Generally, if a variety of reputable sources (e.g. network news, newspapers, etc.) are able to corroborate the story, I believe it to be true. As with any other news gathered from social media, I would highly recommend using more reliable sources to learn more about the details of a story.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post: Our Relationship with Technology

  Like many relationships, my relationship with technology is a complex one. I use technology to educate myself, connect with friends, and s...